One week from today I will be settling into my new home in Bordesholm, Germany. I can hardly believe the summer has flown so quickly. I am both excited and extremely terrified, of course. Somewhere deep in the back of my mind, I still feel like I'm not actually going to do this. But it is happening! Kate's making the big move, and there is no turning back now. This summer I've been exchanging lengthy emails with the Röhl family, for whom I will be working during the next year. I will live in the top level of their garden house, while serving as a part time au pair for their two children, Paul Luis and Emma Sophie. They are adorable children, and I can't wait to meet them! The parents, Claudia and Torsten, are both physicists at the University of Kiel, and seem very personable, easy-going, and interesting. I will also be taking a German language course at the university, and hopefully a couple art classes as the year progresses.
Now what to do with this week left in Kansas? Tomorrow is my last day of work at Central Office in Clay Center. I will then pay a quick visit to Cari, sister Kristin, and possibly others in the Newton/Wichita area this weekend. After this, I will likely be overwhelmed with packing and general re-organization of my life. All of this I am sure will go very smoothly, of course... :) I think I have no idea what I'm in for! For now I'm focusing on spending quality time here at the farm with my parents and kid sister. I'm also hoping to visit my grandparents here a couple more times. Can you believe they're celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary?? Blows my mind.
Well now, I'm off for now. Until next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
How exciting!!! We will look forward to reading updates about your year in Kiel. Good luck with the transition. (By the way, just this morning Lucy was singing your counting song!)
Kate- this is uber exciting- I await further posts with breath bated. I can relate on the whole butterflies thing- I think It's a pretty normal part of living abroad.
Post a Comment