Sunday, December 14, 2008

3rd Advent

Today at noon I went to Oma Jutta and Jurgen´s house with Claudia, Torsten, the kids, Harry, and his friend to make Christmas cookies. What is it about spending an afternoon with cookie cutters, flour, frosting, and sprinkles that is just so satisfying? We started with detailed shapes and designs, and things quickly became sillier. Torsten started making creepy finger cookies, Harry made a castle "gingerbread" house, Emmi made dozens of volcanoes (her new favorite thing) and I added a Christmas spider for good measure. Fun times! As they cooked, Jutta prepared a gorgeous spread of pretzels, almond-marzipan cakes, nuts, tea, coffee, kakao, and other goodies for us to enjoy in the living room. A nice way to relax this afternoon. Jutta tried to bargain with me so I could stay next year. They are making plans to go to Finland after I leave! No fair... No worries, though. I will be back in Kansas by then. In fact, I´m kicked out of the country in August. When I mentioned this, Jutta quickly replied that she could find someone to marry me for a visa, and then we could have him promptly disposed of. I never knew she was so cunning! It was a funny conversation.

Oh, another weekend so quickly passed. Just 5 more days, though, until Winter Holiday! We´ll head south to the Harz mountains to stay in a lodge, and go cross-country skiing if there is snow. With no snow, we´ll just sit around the fire and be lazy all week... both options sound okay to me!

No comments: