I think Emma Sophie is terrified of Kansas. When I first arrived in the autumn, she wanted to know ALL about tornadoes and was VERY impressed that I have actually seen them. The subject kind of dropped, until today again. We were tying shoes (she´s finally started to master the bunny running around the tree bit), and she thought she saw a spider scuttle across the floor. It was actually some lint and hair, but a conversation starter nonetheless. She said there is only one dangerous spider in Germany, which has an X on the back. It isn´t poisonous, but the bite can hurt. In general, though, all spiders in this part of the country can be held in your hand. She asked if it was the same in Kansas, and I said no and told her about Black Widows and Brown Recluses. She was really excited about the violin design on the back, but horrified that they can hurt people so badly. The she asked about snakes, and again I said there are a couple varieties that we must beware of in Kansas ("Red and Black, poison lack, Red and Yellow, dangerous fellow, right?"). Plants? Well... yes, there is poison ivy, and other wild plants that might give rashes. She was shocked, and stated with confidence "Kate, you must feel VERY happy to be here in Germany where you are safe. It was so dangerous in Kansas!" I have never in my life considered Kansas to be a dangerous place! But when I thought of it from nature´s perspective, she does have a bit of a point. There is nothing to harm a person here in Northern Germany - no poisonous plants, spiders, or snakes, no bears, wolves, mountain lions, no hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes. A haven for people afraid of natural forces! I still think it is kind of hilarious, though, that Emmi thinks Kansas is so terrifying! I wonder what she´ll think if she visits someday! Funny kid. While she is so frequently the cause of my daily stresses, she is also a great source for silly stories. She´s very doomsday lately. She gave me the BEST drawing today of a volcano, with lava pouring over the houses. There is a giant blue ball that wraps over the top of the houses from the other side. She said that part is the tsunami. Oh Emmi...
Update: The kids have memorized "Twas the Night Before Christmas" up to the "the children were nestled all snug in their beds while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads" verse. Progress! Maybe they´ll have it by Christmas after all! Apparently the Christmas Man (probably Harry in costume) only gives presents to those who can recite a poem. Paul Luis has been helping me to learn "Liebe gute Weinachtsman" - a very simple poem that nearly every German child learns. Apparently Emmi could do it when she was two! It is coming along slowly but surely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My kids also freak out when I tell them that in Kansas we have a lot of "tatsumaki"- or tornadoes. It's strange, because I also sort of regard Kansas as a safe, calm place. Bread basket of America and all- so it's interesting to get the international perspective on it.
Also- I'm pretty sure they were shivering peas ;)
Post a Comment