Tuesday, September 2, 2008

paper airplanes and pizza.

The week has been progressing smoothly, so far. The children, especially Emmi, have been getting upset frequently - largely because Claudia is at a conference this week and they miss her a lot. They often refuse to do things that are very necessary - such as dress for school or come to the car to go to handball practice, etc. It is difficult to convince them to do these things without being too forceful (which leads to even more defiance and fuels a long downhill day...), but without being too accommodating as well. It seems that every time I come to tell Emmi to dress for school or something, she cries and flails about. I try to come up with cheerful ways to encourage her, to quietly calm her, but I haven´t quite figured it out yet. With the clock ticking, part of me wants to pick her up and put the clothes on myself against the squirms and screams. But I know it isn´t necessary, because Claudia and Torsten always manage to get things done by being patient and explaining things. Occasionally they will come help if they´re around - and somehow they have the magic touch. I don´t get it! I try everything, and yet when Claudia or Torsten say to Emmi that she needs to dress she walks over and puts her clothes on without a peep. Makes it look like I hardly put forth any effort at all! I guess being the parent and all gives a bit of authority... How can I get there soon!?? I was certain this morning that we would be late to Kindergarten and have to go running through the forest trying to find everyone, but of course we showed up at the forest and were some of the first ones there. I waited with the other parents (who are all around 40 yrs, very fashionable, and have only 1, occasionally 2 children) for almost 20 minutes before everyone else showed up and the children tromped away through the bushes. I think this will become pretty typical of my experience here: me freaking out about things that turn out to be just fine. Oh well. Whether or not it becomes the end of me just to do so, those children will be dressed, fed, and to appointments on time!!! I can do this!!! :)

For all the stressful moments in learning how to take care of the children, I have had some really beautiful bonding experiences as well. Today I went into Paul Luis´ room for a bit to see what he was working on, and commended him on a paper airplane he was folding (it really was remarkable!). He quickly pulled out some more papers, and showed me a pattern he designed himself. I was so blown away, and asked if I could try it out. I was no longer an au pair minding a child, but like a child myself I was thoroughly absorbed in the complete awesomeness that paper airplanes are! The plane soared like a dream, and Paul Luis and I glanced at each other with smiling mouths wide open and didn´t need to say a word. As I left the room to check on Emmi, I felt something brush my back, turned, and he wrapped my hand around the special plane. Such a silly little thing, but my heart could not have felt fuller at that moment.

Today before I left to come back to the garden house for the evening, Torsten asked if I wanted to come to eat pizza and watch the news at 8. I´m pretty sure it was Claudia´s idea, because he had just gotten off the phone with her a few minutes earlier (she called from the conference). She was probably like "get that girl out of the garden house before she becomes a hermit!" Torsten also had bought some special partially fermented wine at the supermarket that morning that he said is only available in Germany for a few days. It is very strange wine - we had to be careful picking them up because the caps aren´t even screwed on all the way, so they could continue fermenting. Weird. Anyways, I came over at eight, and we sat on the floor in front of the TV and ate pizza and tried the wine. It was so nice - and he set out the ceramic coasters I brought them from Kansas that they have been too afraid to use so far, because they "don´t want to set their cups on art"! I have still not completely mastered the skill of eating everything with a knife and fork - fork always in the left hand, one cut at a time per bite, but I am growing to like it. The pizza (which is actually called something else, I forgot the name) was awesome and thin and almost sweet. I was only there for less than an hour, but it was really nice. It could have been awkward, but it wasn´t at all. I think it was their way of showing me that their home is my home, and if I don´t want to be a recluse in the garden house I can always come hang out with them like a member of the family. I probably won´t come over and be best friends every night, but it is nice to know it is an option when I´m feeling sad or alone. I like being the surrogate "big sister," especially since I´ve been missing my own family back home so much!

I should get to bed soon. I am so lame! I go to bed between 9 and 10 every night!!! I also wake before 6, but it is still strange. Especially knowing it is early afternoon still in Kansas...
Until next time! And Happy Birthday to sister Kristin!!! I love you and wish I could give you a big birthday hug and kiss!!!
Kate

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey don't feel too lame. Caring for kids is hard work and getting up early sucks. Mark and I are no fun if we don't go to bed around 10pm on a weekday. Of course sometimes we stay up later and pay for it in the morning. I'm glad things are going well. You'll continue to get the hang of things. Miss you lots.