Not completely true - I just wanted to get your attention. Following a busy week, Claudia called me Saturday morning to come over for breakfast. Even though I was tired, I gladly went because I like that they want me to be included. We spent breakfast describing the many details of Paul Luis´ birthday next week (which is, incidentally, the same day as my dad´s - November 12). I had no idea there were so many things necessary to plan a birthday! He wants me to cook brownies to bring to school on Wednesday, so his classmates can have an "American" snack. :) I´m strangely nervous about going with him to school to serve brownies and juice. What it the kids ask me questions and I sound like I´m crazy when I try to answer? Will Paul Luis be embarrassed by me if I fail? Claudia also asked if I could visit his English class sometime to talk about myself - again flattering, but uncomfortable! Who knows - it might be fun. I worry too much. His birthday party on Saturday will be at a theme park of sorts, where he will have an "Indian" party. I am supposed to organize some projects for the children, like making their own bows and arrows (without being lethal) and headbands with feathers. So I spent my Saturday riding my bike around town trying to find stores that might sell random craft supplies like bamboo sticks, nylon string, feathers, elastic bands, cork (for the "arrows"), etc. Normally these kind of projects excite me, but I was SOO tired and couldn´t convince myself to get into it - no matter how much I tried. I think it was probably because it was my Saturday, and I didn´t feel like I had time off. I also mended the waistband of Emmi´s long underwear that day, which slightly added to the feeling that my precious weekend was slipping away... I really do think I´ll enjoy myself when his birthday and party actually arrive. The boy only turns seven once a year, right? :) I am almost finished making his present - I hope he likes it! Last night my friends Anna and Hanna from Kiel came over to the garden house so we could have a "night in." They are also au pairs, and I think they enjoyed having a quiet place to relax without hearing children all weekend. Most au pairs don´t get a garden house to themselves - just a spare room in the main house. I had fun hosting them here. We went shopping for snacks, baked brownies (so I could practice for next week!), and watched a movie. We went to sleep quite early - it might have been before midnight, and had breakfast together when we woke this morning. It was such a nice visit! I took them to the station around noon, and now am trying to make the rest of my Sunday last as long as I can! Is there really any way to do that? I keep trying to do leisurely things like reading or writing, making tea, etc., but every time I look on the clock it seems to have jumped ahead at a very unnecessary pace! Doesn´t it understand? :)
Aw... I just heard a baby crying and looked out my window over the hedge. Our neighbors to the west are Claudia´s cousins, and they have two little girls, Viola (three - who plays with Emmi), and Luisa. Baby Luisa is all bundled up with massive clothing layers. She fell into a pile of leaves, and I think she couldn´t get up again! Her mom had to help. Such a cute scene - even with tears. Chubby bundled babies and leaf piles belong together.
I hope you are all having a fantastic weekend! I keep thinking about the beautiful red milo fields in Kansas now... wish my father a happy harvest!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
1. You should bake some brownies and send them this way! The average kitchen here doesn't have an oven...
2. Hosting friends sounds like fun! Are you getting enough of a dose of social interaction there?
I also miss the beautiful red milo fields, although the vibrant green of sugar cane against a southern texas sunset comes close!
Post a Comment