First, check out this article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/7728117.stm
What a great idea for a fund-raiser! However, I can´t decide how I feel about the process of selling anonymous art, ending with the revelation of the artists´ names. At first I loved the idea, and part of me still does! Wouldn´t it be awesome to choose a piece of art simply because you like it, and know that it could have been made by a fisherman, telemarketer, struggling artist, or Yoko Ono? However, the fact that they reveal the names after the 40€ postcard purchases makes me feel uncomfortable. As if people are buying the postcards in hopes for a top-dollar name, rather than relishing in what the postcard itself has to offer as a piece of art. Don´t get me wrong - I would totally take part in this fundraiser - and if I found I had a piece by David Bailey or Nick Park, I would be thrilled (and would later sell it to Sotheby´s). But I also get exhausted by how important names and fame are in the art world - the very place where things like that shouldn´t matter so much. Or should it? Maybe I am not qualified to make that judgment. It just provoked my thoughts after my initial excitement, and now I´m not content with my own wishy-washy opinions. What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That's like.. really cool. I wish I could partake in that event!!
I think it's pretty cool. Granted, one could worry about the purity of people's motives or whatever, but considering some of the ridiculous stuff that happens in the art world, anything wrong here would be comparatively small potatoes. Also, it goes to help art education, which can use all the money it can get- even in Europe. I say full steam ahead!
Also- the confirmation word for this post was "wootedl." Seemed worthy of mention.
Post a Comment