Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Dad and Paul Luis
Today is both my father and Paul Luis´ birthdays! A big day! For me, until about an hour ago, the day was committed to making Paul Luis´ day special. This morning I woke at 5:45 to go have an early birthday breakfast for Paul Luis. It was kind of adorable. Claudia had arranged a semi-circle of candies around his plate, bordered by a hand painted wooden train pulling seven numbered cars. There was also a birthday candelabra in the center of the table with seven candles, and another special candle holder that Sisko carved with Paul Luis´ name around the top. He opened all his presents that were "hidden" under the table, and we enjoyed our brötchen together - even as early as it was! By the time we finished breakfast, the run hadn´t even risen yet! It was a fairly relaxed morning, since Torsten was home and could help me get Emmi ready for Kindergarten. I sent the brownies with Paul Luis to school, and they were a hit! Success. For lunch I cooked hühnerfrikassee, his favorite meal, and then when Claudia came home we got ready for his afternoon family birthday party. Oma Jutta, Jurgen, and Opa Lothar arrived around 3:00 with homemade cakes, candies, and presents. We sat with our tea and food for hours, and then played with Legos upstairs at Paul Luis´ request. Emma Sophie was ridiculously grumpy, and threw some wild fits, but thankfully Claudia and Torsten were home to deal with it. I happily built a complex pirate ship with Paul Luis and Lothar in the attic, with Emma´s screams just a soft echo from downstairs. I kind of felt bad for Claudia and Torsten - nothing they tried with her seemed to be working. Though I think she was just tired from getting up so early this morning. At least this is what I´m hoping. Jutta and Jurgen left, and Lothar and I stayed for a light supper. When I left, I gave Paul Luis a giant birthday squeeze and said goodnight. Emma was still crying. I´m convincing myself that she´ll be cheerful and bright in the morning. Thursdays are usually the biggest day of the week for me. I got back to the gartenhaus around 8:00 this evening, and finally could call my dad to wish him a happy birthday! So nice to hear his voice again - I love that man! It sounds as if he finished harvesting just in time before the weather turned rainy. Whew! Now if only those milo prices would start to climb up again... he deserves the best!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment