Monday, November 24, 2008

"shivering"

Here´s a cute little Emma Sophie story for some cheer! The past few weeks Emmi´s favorite word is "shivering." One day after forest kindergarten her teeth were chattering, and I said "Oh Emma, are you shivering?" Ever since then she uses it every time she is the tiniest bit cold! "Kate, I am SHIVERING!" Anyways, I thought she completely understood the word, and was simply exaggerating with it. I was very wrong. A couple weeks ago I let her try a couple frozen peas as a snack, like Mom used to let us do (Torsten was there, and thought this was VERY unusual, but humored me and let her try it). Emmi loved them (I think against Torsten´s wishes!) and this morning at breakfast I told her I was going to the supermarket for some groceries. Her face lit up, and asked excitedly "Ooo - are you going to bring me some more shivering peas???" Adorable!! It took me a couple minutes to compose myself, then explain that if the peas were shivering, they would be shaking all over!! These are called frozen peas. I guess she thought that shivering simply meant that something was freezing!! A part of me is sad that I corrected her, because it was so darn cute. But that is part of my job... we can´t let her go through life calling everything in her freezer "shivering food." Well now, I´d better get some more cleaning done before the kids get home. I just thought you´d appreciate that little story!

2 comments:

Jessu said...

Cute!! I think the story is enhanced by the image of peas shivering away in a freezer bag.

kate said...

Absolutely! My memories of VeggieTales also help give visual references to the little shivering peas...