Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Laterne, laterne...

Sunday night I was clicking away at this computer as usual, when I was interrupted by a steady thumping of drums outside my window. I ignored it for a couple minutes, then noticed an orange flickering light reflecting against the wall. I turned and went to my east window, to see hundreds of people with torches, instruments, and lanterns parading down my street in the dark! It was quite a sight to behold, and I wasn´t sure how to react. The date was Oct. 19 - I couldn´t figure out what the special occasion might be. I opened my window wide open, even though it was freezing outside, and watched the spectacle for a while. I heard people and children singing and chanting "laterne, laterne." Determined to figure out what was behind this bizarre parade, I grabbed my scarf and wool coat and ran outside. I crawled through the hedges behind the garden house to get to the alley and street, rather than walking past the main Röhl house and triggering the bright security lights, waking the family for sure. Not sure what else to do, I simply joined the crowd when I got to the street and started walking through and around the groups of people. I´m pretty sure I didn´t blend in at all, as I was walking in a confused stagger through the masses, turning to look all around me - sometimes dropping back, other times darting ahead while everyone else moved at a steady pace around the spinning lost dog that I was. Most were families, with the children carrying homemade lanterns and singing, while the adults carried tall flaming torches. We walked for several blocks, making a few turns along the way. I kept hoping we´d arrive at a final destination of sorts, to clue me in to the source of this night parade. A park, school, church, cemetary... something! But soon it seemed that the end was not as near as I´d hoped, and I was afraid I´d forget my way back home in the dark. So I dropped back, watched the people and lights move on ahead around the next bend, then turned around and walked back home to go to bed. The next day I asked Torsten about it, and he said they have Laterne parades several times a year, and he was sad that they missed this one. I didn´t ask much more about it, but looked online. It seems that there are usually Laterne parades on Nov. 11 to celebrate a saint or something, but I never saw anything about October. Maybe we´re just extra enthusiastic here in Bordesholm about our lanterns and fire! Whatever the case, it made my night interesting, and I can´t wait for the next one!

The past couple days have not been as stressful as I feared, having the children all day long rather than enjoying a morning by myself to get some things done and rest a bit when they normally would be at school. Claudia and Torsten went back to work this week, but Paul Luis and Emma Sophie are still on holiday from school - which means my holiday is definitely over. But in a way it is nice in the mornings to let them sleep in, eat late breakfasts, and not have to worry about getting them to school and Kindergarten on time. Honestly, that has been my biggest stress and point of conflict with the children - getting them places on time. They simply never want to get ready to go when it is time. But when we have nothing on our schedules but eating, playing, and tidying a bit, we have few points of conflict! I did have a minor moment of trauma today when the children wanted to tie me to my chair at lunch. I think they were just being silly, not trying to be mean - but things like that make me panic! What if I couldn´t get back out? But it all turned out okay. Paul Luis had a playdate with his friend Bjerne after lunch, so I had some leverage. If they didn´t untie me, Paul Luis couldn´t play with his friend - simple as that! If only I were always so lucky... :)

I think Oma Jutta might take the children for a bit tomorrow, which might be nice. I´d like to go on a bike ride or walk during the afternoon so I can enjoy the beautiful autumn colors while I still can! The leaf piles are getting taller, and trees thinner every day...

1 comment:

adam said...

best post ever.

(i read your blog from time to time, by the way. thanks for having it. it is listed on the side of my blog, which i use more as a library than a journal: deleaneaux.blogspot.com)