Friday, October 31, 2008

"this is halloween, everybody make a scene"


I´ve had the lyrics from "This is Halloween" of the Nightmare before Christmas stuck in my head all day. But so far that is my only clue that today is Halloween. I haven´t seen a single costume, pumpkin, or anything all day to suggest today is different than any other day. But maybe it is just because it isn´t a big holiday for my host family. Paul Luis said he might dress up like a vampire for a bit tonight - but he´d just stay in and run around the house in costume for a bit. Emma said she is scared of Halloween, and didn´t want to talk about it any more. So... those are my clues to work with. Hmm....

Despite this, I am determined to find a few people who have some interest in Halloween - or at least are interested in it being a Friday night! I´ll take the 8:00 train to Kiel tonight to meet a couple friends, and we´re going to explore the city a bit and hope to see some celebrating in one form or another. Who knows. Most importantly, tomorrow is "Honky Tonk" night in Kiel! I have no idea what the German equivalent to Honky Tonk is, but I can´t wait to find out!

Today dozens of HUGE boxes arrived at the house. Torsten bought two electronic drum sets - one big one for himself, and a smaller one for the kids. It was like Christmas! I left this afternoon to the sounds of snares and symbols. It was fun, but I might start to develop a head ache after a few days! I´m surprisingly excited about these drum sets, though. I think I might try to learn something. I have the house to myself while the kids are at school, and I think I´d enjoy learning something without the intimidation of knowing people can hear me. I can even put on the headset to ensure that the neighbors don´t hear me! I might learn to play drums! Wouldn´t that be fantastic?

Ah... weekend. It could not have come at a more perfect time. Happy Halloween, my friends!

No comments: