Thursday, October 30, 2008

vowels

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7697000/7697762.stm

This is random, but I found this article today on BBC, and kind of like it. The concept is simple - some guy wrote some verses limiting each part to words that all share only one vowel (example: "drat that cat," or "sob no morn"). It has been harshly criticized, and to be honest I´m not entirely sure how I feel about the quality of writing, myself. But I really appreciate this work, because it makes me think about how we blend vowels together all the time to form our language in such powerful ways without even considering how it works. As a child (and still today) I always thought each vowel seemed to have its own personality. A´s were the bright and ambitious, E´s were more serene, mystical, and mellow, and so on. I´m not sure if this is because I associate certain words with these letters ("hush," "hum," and "curl" give off different feelings than "slip," "quit," or "wit") or if I visually apply their shapes to certain personalities (an "o" is more rounded and soft than the short and angular "i"). I´m sure there are all sorts of other factors I haven´t considered yet. I never claimed to be a poet or language critic.

Just some food for thought! Sorry to be so random.

If you want a "normal" update - my day was good. Paul Luis had a fever and stayed home from school, but we ended up having a really great day. I mean - I was sad that he was sick and all, but I really don´t get to spend much one-on-one time with him. We played with a Lego pirate ship, nibbled on stale pretzels, and drew some detailed diagrams of sharks and sting rays. When Emma Sophie came home, we ate some alphabet soup, drew some hand print turkeys, and played with the puppet theater again - this time adding some fancy lighting effects by drawing the blinds and switching on Paul Luis´ globe. Such a fun day! It was my longest day this week, but by far the most pleasant. Isn´t it strange how some days I can only work a couple hours and get so stressed, but then 10 hour days like today can at times be so enjoyable? It all depends on everyone´s moods... I can´t decide if this is a comforting or scary thought.

No comments: