Thursday, October 23, 2008

work visa

Today Torsten drove Emma Sophie and me to Rendsburg to get my German work visa so I can stay the year as an au pair. For some reason I was terrified that something would go wrong, and I´d be promptly kicked out of the country. But the process was remarkably simple, and the agent hardly even spoke to me, until the end. He looked at me and rambled quickly and quietly in German for a couple minutes, then asked if I understood. I paused and smiled with a confident "ja", and we parted ways. Torsten said the man was talking so fast that even he could hardly understand what he said, and that I gave a convincing act! We had a good laugh about it. Now I have two large and important-looking work visa stickers in my passport! I love it. After I became an official German resident, we walked around the historic center of Rendsburg to find a music store. It is such a beautiful little town! Very intimate and cozy architecture, complete with an old street performer with stuffed monkeys on his music box. We spent about an hour at the music store testing out an electronic drum set that Torsten wants to buy the children for Christmas (I think he just wants one for himself...). It is really great, though, because with the headset they sound surprisingly authentic, and without so much ear damage. The volume control is what they were most concerned about. Torsten has some ear problems after years of percussion, but they still want to find a way to keep the beat going in their house. I´m kind of excited. I want to learn, too! I might practice while the children are at school in the mornings. Emma looked so awesome sitting at the drum set, pounding her heart away and swinging her hair like a true rocker. When we came back to Bordesholm for lunch, Paul Luis returned from his play date at Xaver´s and we had a chill afternoon. It was nice that Torsten was there so I could do some grocery shopping and finish laundry. With music still on mind, he loaned me some CDs - it was funny, but thoughtful. Now I have the late afternoon, evening, and tomorrow morning off. I´m going to take full advantage and enjoy this break while it exists. The family keeps making references to next week as if I should be in mortal fear... but I decided not to panic until it reaches me Monday. There is nothing I can do about it now, so I´ll keep living in my carefree delusion while I still can!

Side note. My mom´s birthday is tomorrow. About 37... right, Mom? :) That´s what I thought. I hope you have a fantastic day! Wish I could be there to make a pumpkin pie and sing "happy birthday." A phone will have to do. If anybody sees her soon - give the woman a big hug and juicy kiss for me! She deserves the best!

No comments: